- 85% of drivers are distracted by their phone while driving.
- 1 out of 6 mins Drivers are on their phone for 1 out of every 6 minutes while driving.
- 71% are texting 71% of drivers are texting while driving.
Putting down the phone saves lives.
- We need real numbers for distracted driving On the surface, it sounds like great news. Fatalities due to distracted driving are down, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The “number of fatalities in distraction-affected crashes decreased by 2.2 percent from 3,526 in 2015 to 3,450 in 2016,” reads their 2016 report. Let’s get the champagne! But before we do, let’s take a […]
- Is there hope for DUI-E? So, this is embarrassing. New Jersey is spending $1.2 million to crack down on distracted driving with a program they’re calling “U Drive. U Text. U Pay.” The program has already caught a big fish. NJ’s first lady, Mary Pat Christie, was pulled over in April for using her phone while driving. The officer let […]
- The Gut-Wrenching Truth about Distracted Driving Would you let a friend get behind the wheel after they’ve had four beers? Hopefully not. But if they’re using their phone while they drive, they’re just as impaired and have the exact same chance of crashing. Our new infographic below, The Gut-Wrenching Truth about Distracted Driving, drills down into the dangers of driving while […]
- Do Drivers Still Need to Pay Attention? The advent of safety features as standard in new vehicles isn’t a new idea. In fact, we’ve come a long what since the first federal seat (safety) belt law went into effect in 1968; in 2015 safety belts saved an estimated 13,941 lives, and for drivers and front-seat passengers, using a lap and shoulder belt reduces […]
- Apple’s iOS 11 Explained: Do Not Disturb While Driving With its upcoming iOS 11 release, Apple announced the inclusion of a new feature called “Do Not Disturb While Driving,” or DNDWD. Designed to sense when someone is driving and block all incoming calls, texts or other alerts, DNDWD is being introduced to combat distracted driving – a contributing factor of the recent massive spike […]
- Announcing Mojo – The App that Rewards Safe Driving Today we announced the launch of our latest driving safety app, Mojo – an app that rewards distraction-free driving. The iOS app is available for download today from the Apple App Store. The Android version will be released later this month. ABOUT THE APP Mojo provides concrete feedback and incentives to help users reduce distracted driving. The app […]
- Wall Street Journal Addresses Distracted Driving Distracted by their smartphones, America’s drivers are becoming more dangerous by the day. That is pushing auto-insurance rates higher as insurers struggle to keep up. Costs associated with crashes are outpacing premium increases for some companies, according to insurers, and they say the use of smartphones to talk, text and access the internet while on […]
- The Anatomy of Distracted Driving A key indicator of risk is a driver’s distraction habits is how much and in what ways the driver chooses to use their smartphone during vehicle operation. Our technology measures a driver’s phone use, including their tendency to make phone calls while driving and non-call usage habits, such as their propensity for texting or web browsing while driving. Categories […]
- Traffic Fatalities Continue to Rise says the NSC Earlier this week, the National Safety Council released its traffic fatality estimates for 2016. The numbers are staggering: over 40,000 people died in accidents involving motor vehicles in 2016. That represents a 6 percent rise from 2015, which, when compounded with the previous year’s increase, results in the largest two-year increase -14 percent–in over 50 […]
- Recognizing Brands for Positive Messaging Around Distracted Free Driving This month we are recognizing Phone Free February. As part that we are highlighting brands that have encouraged their customers to go distraction and/or phone free in the most inspiringly beautiful ways. If you’ve seen a distracted driving ad you’ve probably been reminded of the horrible but real consequences of driving distracted. The statistics are overwhelming; […]
- The Road to Zero Coalition Road to Zero is an initiative launched earlier this year by the National Safety Council, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the Federal Highway Administration and the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration with the goal of eliminating traffic fatalities within the next 30 years. We here at TrueMotion are in full support of the initiative. […]
- Road to Zero: Why Self-Driving Cars Won’t Save Us The National Safety Council (NSC) has launched a new initiative that takes aim at the rising trend of auto fatalities. The campaign, dubbed “Road to Zero” aims to “eliminate traffic fatalities within the next 30 years.” While we very much laud the initiative’s lofty goal, its reliance on new technologies like driverless cars and smart […]