- 85% of drivers are distracted by their phone while driving.
- 1 out of 6 mins Drivers are on their phone for 1 out of every 6 minutes while driving.
- 71% are texting 71% of drivers are texting while driving.
Putting down the phone saves lives.
- Let’s pass the hands-free bill in MA We have until July 31 to pass a handheld ban in Massachusetts and make a real impact on distracted driving. After that, it’s effectively back the drawing board. If you’re in MA, here’s what you can do to help: 1. Write or call Robert DeLeo, MA’s House Speaker – Robert.DeLeo@mahouse.gov. 617-722-2500. An email template and […]
- Distracted driving on 4th of July was higher in 2018 Two weeks ago we reported that distracted driving is up 10% in summer 2018. Memorial Day 2018 was up 3%. And we were waiting for July 4th this year to see what would happen. Well, the numbers are in – distracted driving was up this 4th of July. Compared to 2017, texting and app use while […]
- Distracted driving laws, fines, reporting, and performance by state Distracted driving affects everyone on the road, but states fight distracted driving differently. It’s hard to get a complete view of what’s actually going on with distracted driving by state. There are a few sites that include the laws states have for handheld devices and texting while driving. But if you want more detail on […]
- Distraction is up in summer 2018 July 4th is next week. It’s a unique holiday from a driving perspective – millions of people will hit the road just before dark to watch colorful explosions take over the night sky. How distracted can you expect them to be? Our latest research shows distracted driving is similar for summer holidays and weekdays – […]
- 4 characteristics that signal bad driving habits Influencing driver behavior is a key ingredient to improving road safety. Technology is the best way to collect detailed information about individual drivers, such as actual (vs self-reported) driving abilities and to monitor and interpret those driving behaviors. Through data (or insights) collection technology can bridge the gap and better characterize risky driving behavior, such […]
- Texting during holiday driving: It’s worse than you thought If you’re like roughly one third of Americans, you traveled somewhere by car this holiday season to spend time with family and friends, and to eat, drink, and generally be merry. Unfortunately, the winter holidays are among the most dangerous days to drive throughout the year – over 27,000 people are seriously injured in car […]
- Let’s remove distractions from the car, not add to them You can now order a coffee from your car’s touchscreen – while you’re driving. GM has rolled out its new in-car app called Marketplace, which is available to over 2 million drivers today. The app allows drivers to shop and place orders from Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, TGI Friday’s, and Priceline.com – again, while they’re driving. […]
- We need real numbers for distracted driving On the surface, it sounds like great news. Fatalities due to distracted driving are down, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The “number of fatalities in distraction-affected crashes decreased by 2.2 percent from 3,526 in 2015 to 3,450 in 2016,” reads their 2016 report. Let’s get the champagne! But before we do, let’s take a […]
- Is there hope for DUI-E? So, this is embarrassing. New Jersey is spending $1.2 million to crack down on distracted driving with a program they’re calling “U Drive. U Text. U Pay.” The program has already caught a big fish. NJ’s first lady, Mary Pat Christie, was pulled over in April for using her phone while driving. The officer let […]
- The Gut-Wrenching Truth about Distracted Driving Would you let a friend get behind the wheel after they’ve had four beers? Hopefully not. But if they’re using their phone while they drive, they’re just as impaired and have the exact same chance of crashing. Our new infographic below, The Gut-Wrenching Truth about Distracted Driving, drills down into the dangers of driving while […]
- Do Drivers Still Need to Pay Attention? The advent of safety features as standard in new vehicles isn’t a new idea. In fact, we’ve come a long what since the first federal seat (safety) belt law went into effect in 1968; in 2015 safety belts saved an estimated 13,941 lives, and for drivers and front-seat passengers, using a lap and shoulder belt reduces […]
- Apple’s iOS 11 Explained: Do Not Disturb While Driving With its upcoming iOS 11 release, Apple announced the inclusion of a new feature called “Do Not Disturb While Driving,” or DNDWD. Designed to sense when someone is driving and block all incoming calls, texts or other alerts, DNDWD is being introduced to combat distracted driving – a contributing factor of the recent massive spike […]